Steamed up glasses

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Steamed up glasses

Post  viktur melldruw on Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:28 am

Hi Everybody

Viktur here.

I wonder how many of the forum members use a face mask filter. You know the cheap pressed paper type with a soft metal clip across the nose. I use one all the time when carving and using the foredom. However I have one major problem with these masks, my glasses steam up, and you will know there is nothing more annoying than having to stop work to remedy a problem which must be avoidable.
I have tried various methods of using these masks. I have padded the nose area with soft paper tissue to create a seal, I have used gaffer tape over the area under the glasses. All to no avail. My glasses just steam up.
The real problem starts when I want to use my magnifier head band. This is when the detail work needs all my attention and I have to constantly break off to wipe the lenses.
These face masks are cheap and light to wear and off course disposable when clogged with dust and I only use them when using light tools. When it comes to using the sanding grinder etc I use a powered helmet by Trend. This is a great piece of head gear for the workshop. A bit on the big side, but very effective if not noisy.
But I do not want to be wearing a great lump of plastic on my head all day, especially when its not necessary.

So do any of the forum members have a solution to my problem ?. I dont want to have to hold my breath every time I have a bit of tricky carving to do because I know from experience I will just black out and fall off my stool. Its no good getting old.

Cheers Viktur.

viktur melldruw

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Steemed glasses

Post  Charlie on Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:22 pm

I use those paper masks also but have never had the problem. There are various anti-fog solutions that you can try to apply to your glasses that may help. Charlie

Charlie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

RE: Steamed up glasses

Post  anfbrown on Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:54 pm

Hi.

This is a problem I've also found. Have you tried using a bandana - basically a silk scarf. This can worn 'cowboy' style over the nose and mouth, loose enough to allow proper breathing, and double thickness to improve the filtering. Try a Motorcycle dealer for a 'real mans'.

Don't forget to take it off when going to the bank. Yee-haaa.

Alex

anfbrown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Helmets

Post  thestickman on Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:52 am

I'm afraid I've not come up with any solution to the problem - other than spending 150 on a powered helmet like Viktur's - except mine's a "Powercap" make. I'm told it's a bit lighter in weight than the Trend make, partly because in mine the battery pack is on my belt and not built in to the helmet, as in the Trend.

I also have a shop air filter up near the ceiling that circulates and filters the air continuously. Without it, all the particles that go into the air stay there so you just breathe them in when you take your helmet off!

Keith

thestickman
Admin

View user profile http://www.thestickman.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Bandana

Post  viktur melldruw on Thu May 01, 2008 2:36 am

Hi Alex

Viktur here.

I like the idea of a bandana, always wanted to be a rebel. I could get some tattooes while I was at it and throw my weight around when I go down for lunch at Pensioners House. I think some of the single ladies might even ask for a ride on my mobility scooter. Man this could be the start of something new. I might have to put the stick making and carving on the back burner for a while if I impress the ladies once more.
But who I am kidding, it takes me all my time to kick start the scooter and by that time I so out of breath I have to go back indoors for a sit down. Oh well I can dream.
Now what did some one say about a bank !.

Cheers Viktur. pirat

viktur melldruw

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Price of helmets

Post  John Simpson on Thu May 01, 2008 10:33 am

Do you really think the powered helmets are worth it Keith? 150 is a lot of money and could buy an awful lot of dust masks and other more useful things.

John S

John Simpson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

price of helmets

Post  thestickman on Thu May 01, 2008 10:50 am

I reckon the helmet should last me at least ten years - already had it three - so at 15 a year to keep my lungs working I think it's well worth it! I have a box full of dust masks and they will last ten years too - cos they don't get used - only there for emergencies!

Keith.

thestickman
Admin

View user profile http://www.thestickman.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Dust mask

Post  Pellcity2003 on Thu May 01, 2008 8:24 pm

John, once you get asthma or other respiratory problems, which I have, you will live with it for the rest of your like. You do ot cure it. You only try to control it. Buy the hood.

Marvin Little
Pell City, Alabama

Pellcity2003

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Steamed up glasses

Post  Sponsored content Today at 5:59 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top