Power or handCarving

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Power or handCarving

Post  Bodger on Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:02 pm

Do any of you use the small hand held power grinder.....I like to think I am from the old school and use carving chisels/knives, but am tempted to buy a set of grinders to cut away the hard wood/work.......any thoughts?.
Thanks in advance. Roger.

Bodger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Using power tools

Post  Pellcity2003 on Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:08 pm

Roger, Maybe I am not a purist but I see nothing sacred about using only hand tools to make sticks. Many of us are getting older and stiffer. I use power cutters and grinders, especially to remove larger amounts of wood when carving out handles from root balls on root canes. I say use whatever works best for you. I am sure others have other ideas.

Pellcity2003

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Power or handCarving

Post  Bodger on Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:34 pm

Pellcity2003 wrote: Many of us are getting older and stiffer.
Tell me about it!.at 58 and years on building sites around the world (Canada & Saudi Arabia) my hands show sighns of wear & tear=arthritus. Sad

Bodger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

power carving

Post  thestickman on Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:05 pm

I used to think that it was "cheating" to use power tools. If you take that idea to its logical conclusion then nobody would have progressed past stone tools! I don't see anything wrong with using up to date tools and to be honest I couldn't make sticks fast enough to make a living if I stuck to hand tools.
That doesn't mean I always use them - I often use just knife and chisels as it's quite nice not to have the noise and dust of the powered carver! I always carve by hand at shows anyway because I never take any power tools with me.

Keith.

thestickman
Admin

View user profile http://www.thestickman.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Bodger on Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:28 pm

thestickman wrote:I used to think that it was "cheating" to use power tools. If you take that idea to its logical conclusion then nobody would have progressed past stone tools! I don't see anything wrong with using up to date tools
Keith.....Any type you can recommend...brand etc.

Bodger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

power carving

Post  thestickman on Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:33 pm

I get mine from Axminster Power Tools in the UK

Go to http://axminster.co.uk and search under "power carving"

Keith

thestickman
Admin

View user profile http://www.thestickman.co.uk

Back to top Go down

power carving

Post  viktur melldruw on Fri May 02, 2008 7:35 pm

Hi Guys

Viktur her.

Its a long time since Ive used chisels on a full time basis. Since I first bought a Dremel I never looked back and now have a Foredom which is used daily. It beats all the hard work with chisels etc. These power tools are fast and efficient and I dont think it matters how you get the end result as long as you achieve you goal.
The only down side I can see is buying cutters for the likes of the Foredom and then finding the expensive cutter doesnt do the job as well as you had hoped. Its a costly journey.
But its suprising how things develope, first Dremel then Foredom and now a small hand held Trend Router motor which is rather like a die grinder but cheaper, and this is where the powered respirator comes in because the Trend really kicks some dust out.
I have never considered using power tools for carving as cheating in any way and its a shame if anyone has ever tried to label another as a cheat because of the use of power tools. This just shows a intolerance to change, and thats no way to progress.
Keep grinding away guys, but dont forget to wear dem der masks.

Cheers medears.

Viktur. affraid

viktur melldruw

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top