joining handle to shank

View previous topic View next topic Go down

joining handle to shank

Post  STICK-AT-IT on Fri May 02, 2008 10:24 pm

Hi Derek STICK-AT-IT
Been stick making for one year can anyone tell me the best way to join handle to shank without filing 38/46 inch shank down to 1 inch thanks Derek

STICK-AT-IT

View user profile

Back to top Go down

joining shank to handle

Post  viktur melldruw on Sun May 04, 2008 2:47 am

Hi Derek

Not sure what the 38/46 is, but what I does is cuts a peg on the end of my shank. Always 5/8 inch dia, to fit a corresponding hole in the handle. I use this on all handles be they wood of horn.
I first drills me handle making sure it sits level in the vice. Use a spirit level. Next I measures the depth of the hole, I am looking for about 2.5 inches in most cases.
Then I takes me shank and using a circle temple, I scribes a 5/8 inch circle on the end of the shank, dead centre.
Next I takes the depth of the hole and marks it on the shank for the length of the peg.
Now I cuts my peg and does some hand work to make a nice snug fit in the hole.

Mate the two together and tidy up the joint.

If I am making a working stick what is going to get some hard work, then I drills down the centre of the peg so that I can push a thin rod of stainless down the hole to straddle the shoulder of the peg. This being the weakest point. Once everything is ship shape and Bristol fashion I glues up.

It might seem a lot of work but it makes a nice light weigth joint which is strong.

If you cannot find stainless rod, a better solution is copper nails what dont rust in the peg and dont blow the timber apart if the stainless is not as stainles as hoped.

I hopes you cans follow all this Derek. Good luck with the show you are going to this week.

Yours very sincerely Viktur.
scratch

viktur melldruw

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top