Rams horn availability

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Rams horn availability

Post  thestickman on Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:09 am

I'm often asked where I get my ramshorn. Some of it comes from abattoirs - I know a couple of people who work in them and look out for horns for me. It's difficult for THEM to obtain them though, because of the hygiene regulations in force and which are often misunderstood by the abattoir staff. There ARE legal ways of getting them but the rules make it difficult!
I also occasionally get horns directly from farmers. Sometimes they cut them off rams if the horns have become too big and are growing into the jaws and stopping the animals from eating. Sometimes they just cut off the inside edges in these cases and if done carefully the horns can still be used when the animals eventually die or go for slaughter. Often though, the horns are so badly cut that most of the useable horn is lost.
Now and again another stickmaker will 'have a sort out' and decide he has too many horns - we all tend to buy them on impulse - and sometimes I am offered a few, either for money or as 'swaps'.
I never have large amounts of horns - sometimes I might have a couple of hundred but they quickly sell and usually I'm down to only a few dozen or less in stock.

Keith

thestickman
Admin

View user profile http://www.thestickman.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Rams horn availability

Post  John Simpson on Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:01 pm

I recently bought some horns on eBay. The seller described them as "perfect for making crooks" but when i got them - a pair - they were very hollow and only had about ten inches of solid tip. I complained to the seller but he said he didn't make sticks and had been told by someone who did that they would be good for crooks and didn't want to give me the money back. In the end he agreed to give me a partial refund if i gave him good feedback.

John Mad

John Simpson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

eBay horns

Post  thestickman on Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:51 pm

I've bought some horns from eBay too but never had good ones - despite the descriptions given by sellers! Some were very fresh - only off the animal for a few weeks - so they're still seasoning. I've used one of a pair I got a few months ago and it needed a lot of bulking to get it ready for shanking. I made a simple "Ramscurl" stick with it because the end of the horn wasn't thick enough to turn out to make any sort of crook.
EBay is a good place for materials in general - a lot of people are selling stuff there now. Several people actually buy things from me and sell them on eBay! The trouble, of course, is that the seller can't guarantee a good price for them and buyers often can't be sure of what they are getting. I have seen so many things incorrectly described on eBay and have even emailed sellers to explain why the descriptions are wrong but the usual response is pretty much "I don't care as long as it sells" and some have even been quite abusive to me about it!
EBay reckons to prevent anyone miss-selling items but in my experience you have to be very wary. Most sellers believe that because they say they are selling "personal items" the laws that regulate businesses (like mine) don't apply to them. When I've pointed out that this is not so I have had some REAL abuse - one guy even cancelled a bid I'd made on something he was selling to prevent me making a complaint against him!

Keith

thestickman
Admin

View user profile http://www.thestickman.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Horn,bone used

Post  Pellcity2003 on Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:55 pm

I have not used ramshorn yet but I have used deer antler, elk antler, and ostrich claws for stick handles.

Pellcity2003

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Ostrich Claw

Post  Jeffrey Pitts on Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:08 am

And just where does one get ostrich claws Marvin?

Jeffrey

Jeffrey Pitts

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rams horn availability

Post  Wood Artist on Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:06 am

I'm in the American West and antlers ( deer, antelope, elk, etc.) are usually easy to get. As a side issue, I'm curious how others attach the antlers to the wood sticks. I've settled on using threaded rod and a 2 part epoxy. Any better methods???

Wood Artist

View user profile http://www.westernwoodartist.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Pellcity2003 on Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:01 am

I bought the ostrich claw that I used at a yard sale. The man thought that it was ab emy claw but they, I found out later, are only about 1 inch long. There are ostrich farms arounf that sell claws, meat, and everything else. They raise them like cattle.

Marvin Little
Pell City, Alabama

Pellcity2003

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pellcity2003 on Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:04 am

Bill, I usually attach my antler handles with a section of allthread. I have a can of wood hardener that I can pour into the hole drilled into the antler to harden the pith. I have also drilled through the top of a stick and stuck an antler tine completely through the root bulge to make a handle. I have a photo and will try to post it.

Pellcity2003

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Wood Artist on Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:23 am

Wood hardener? Not familiar with it and will search on the net. Thanks...and yes, pictures are good Very Happy

Wood Artist

View user profile http://www.westernwoodartist.com

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top